I know I promised a proper entry, and that was my plan. We all know what happens to plans ;)
So, for the moment, read this....
For those as interested in the Arctic as I, act on this :)
Now, you cannot say you never knew......
It's now or never if we want to save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and the White House and Republican leaders in Congress are stacking the odds against us. They're using underhanded procedural tactics to sneak through legislation to destroy the Arctic Refuge. The vote will occur this week in the Senate and next week in the House of Representatives.
We need your help to spread the truth about what's happening. We will fight this to the end, however long the odds, to show them that America won't stand for their misplaced priorities.
Despite years of control in Washington, George Bush and the Republican leadership have been unable to secure support for opening the Refuge to oil drilling.
Why? Because of you. Thanks to the incredible grassroots work that you've done year after year, we have been able to hold elected officials accountable on this issue and it has driven the Republicans crazy.
During the debate on the Arctic Refuge last spring, Republican leaders were so upset about our email and the work of more than 425,000 concerned members of the johnkerry.com community that they literally complained about it during the debate on the Senate floor.
We must have been doing something right and we need to do so again.
Please call Congress and urge them to support efforts to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
These votes will decide the fate of the Refuge. It's no time to be sitting on the sidelines. We have to make our voice heard in this debate on Capitol Hill, and if we lose the vote there, we have to make sure we don't lose the debate across America.
There are two important ways you can help:
1) Call your Members of Congress today and urge them to vote to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
2) Join me and millions of Americans who are working hard in 2005 and 2006 to change the course in Washington and elect more progressive leaders to Congress and the Senate who are committed to protecting and preserving all that makes this country so special. It's called Keeping America's Promise and we need your help to support candidates who share our vision of America.
People in America are tired of the corruption, cronyism, and incompetence coming out of Washington these days. And it isn't just underhanded tactics in politics; we are seeing it in policy as well.
We need to get the truth out about how Republicans are hijacking the legislative process to destroy Alaska's wildlife refuge.
Led by my friend Maria Cantwell of Washington in the Senate and my friend and fellow Massachusetts legislator Ed Markey in the House, we have established a strong bi-partisan coalition in the House and Senate to try to stop this underhanded maneuver.
We need your help to get the message out. Please call your Members of Congress and let the facts speak for themselves.
- Drilling in the Arctic Refuge can't make even a small dent in meeting America's energy needs. U.S. Geological Survey scientists estimate that there is very likely only enough oil to supply America's needs for six months. And oil companies admit that even that won't be available for at least 10 years.
- The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's 19 million acres comprise one of the last places on earth where an intact expanse of arctic and sub arctic land remains protected.
- An irreplaceable natural treasure, the Arctic Refuge is home to caribou, polar bears, grizzly bears, wolves, golden eagles, snow geese and more. Millions of other birds use the Arctic Refuge to nest and as a critical staging area on their migratory journeys.
- The Arctic Refuge supports more than wildlife. For a thousand generations, the Gwich'in people of Northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada have depended on it and lived in harmony with it. To them, the Arctic Coastal Plain is sacred ground.
- Oil companies are experiencing windfall profits while Americans struggle at the pump. They don't need any more giveaways from the Republican Party, especially ones that put our environment behind special interests.
- It's time this Administration acknowledged we can't drill our way to energy independence. We have to invent our way there.
You can make a difference by getting this message out. Now is the time to take action. Call your elected representatives, recruit your friends and neighbors to do the same, and together we can break through.
Starting this week, Senator Cantwell and I will be fighting to protect the Refuge on the Senate floor. And next week, the debate will move to the House of Representatives. The support of the johnkerry.com community is essential in this fight. We can't let the Republican leadership have the last word on saving this national treasure. Join us and send a powerful message to Washington that the American people are ready and willing to hold elected leaders accountable for the actions they take.
P.S. This will be an historic vote for the environment. We really need your help to get the word out. Please pass this email along to all your friends and family.